Posted on December 3rd, 2010 - 12:14 PM by Kevin Pearl
One year ago The DC Universe, it’s fans and in some ways the comic book industry as a whole found itself swept up in all things Blackest Night. Forums exploded, books flew off shelves and a world that never really knew how to deal with death suddenly found itself surrounded by it.
True, Blackest Night #8, the last chapter of the epic cross-over event was only released a mere eight months ago, but wind back the clock last winter and another important blackest night milestone may come to mind: The release of all eight lantern corps power rings!
What started as a simple marketing promotion quickly turned into a large scale frenzy for fans and collectors and a multi-colored jackpot for DC. Only available after purchasing a copy of a less popular Blackest Night tie-in title the rings helped boost sales and introduced new readers to titles that really weren’t getting the attention they deserved.
The Books in Question:
Doom Patrol #4 (Yellow)
Booster Gold #26 (Orange)
JLA #39 (Red)
Blackest Night #5 (Green)
Adventure Comics #4 (Blue)
R.E.B.E.L.S. #10 (Indigo)
Outsiders #24 (Violet)
All of which are now available along with the entire 79 issue Blackest Night event on comiXology.
So now it’s one year later, Blackest Night is finished and sets of the rings are going for upwards of 50 bucks on ebay. Aside from selling your collection however, take a look at some of these crafty uses for your rings, after all keeping these rings are way to cool to keep under a glass display case.
1. Fishing Lure: Attach a hook and some string then let the avarice of the orange lanterns bait hungry fish easily surseptable to the power of greed. The rings are the perfect weight and most will gleam in the murkiest of waters.
2. Personal Signet Stamp: The large indented logo on each ring makes them ideal for anyone looking to add that personal touch to a handwritten note. Add a little compassion with Indigo or sign that secret love poem with a touch of Violet.
3. Spinning Top: Entertain small children for hours while inspiring hope and good will at the same time simply place the ring vertical so that the lantern corp logo faces upward and twirl.
4. Bottle Opener: Sure you could use a wedding ring, and counter-top or a real bottle opener by not allow the rage of the red lanterns aid in your quest for a frosty carbonated beverage. Hook the bottom portion of the ring under the cap and just roll your hand forward. It’s a great party trick just remember that wearing a yellow ring to any social engagement may not make you many friends.
5. Deck the Halls: Tis the season after all so why not make this christmas all the more spectacular b accessorizing accordingly. Trim the tree with all seven lantern corps ring or sport the red and green while out and about. Don’t forget Comics make great gifts for any holiday.
Tagged: Blackest Night · DC Universe
3 Comments »